Monday, November 21, 2016

Weekly Winners and Giving Thanks


Normal Rockwell's Freedom from Want

We have winners at SOS Aloha!  Catslady, Debby, and Molly win a book choice from my convention stash.  

This week Americans prepare for Thanksgiving.  How can be best appreciate what we have?  Here's a few ideas ...

1. Volunteer.  My family volunteers at our church, through the Boy Scouts, and with our high school. I have to admit that volunteering has helped soothe some of the uneasiness I have felt since the election.  Looking for an opportunity volunteer? Check out volunteermatch.org.

2. Donate.  Too many Americans struggle to feed their families.  My small church adopted 10 families and prepared Thanksgiving baskets for them.  Since my family loves vegetables, we donated corn and green beans!  You can help, too, by contacting a food bank near you:

feedingamerica.org/find-your-local-foodbank

3. Be Kind. Last Saturday, my church hosted a "treasures" sale for holiday shopping.  An older gentleman shuffled into the room and spend an hour looking around.  He asked me for advice on what to buy for his family.  In the end, I gave him a discount for volume shopping.  He thanked me for my time and blessed me in Arabic.  I hugged him and said that his family was always welcome at our church.  The hug cost me nothing ... but gave me the satisfaction that I acted like an American. Christian. Veteran.

4. Go to the library.  We are blessed as a nation to have public libraries ... so use them!  Libraries are more than books ... they offer multi media education and entertainment. Remember, use them or loose them.  


5. Turn off the television, computer, and cell phone.  We have been oversaturated with instant news and reality TV.  For Thanksgiving, let us celebrate each other.  Play a game.  Take a walk.  Write cards to deployed personnel - send me an email at sos.aloha@yahoo.com, for a list of those who are defending our freedom away from home.

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash. Comments are open through Sunday, November 27, 10 pm in Baltimore. I'll post the winner on Sunday, November 28.

Mahalo,


Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City


15 comments:

  1. Excellent post. It's such a great feeling after doing any of them.
    I'll be at my daughter & son-in-laws for Thanksgiving this year with my youngest dasughter who lives home. Wishing you and everyone A Blessed Thanksgiving. Congrats to winners.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home and famliy
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim - Thank you for your service & volunteer work! I am lucky enough to have my sister coming up from Fla & my son coming up from Atlanta. Can't wait to see them! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congats to all the winners.....Happy Thanksgiving everyone. John and I are staying home, we are deep frying the bird and I'm making the mashed potatoes and veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dinner with family, then relaxing the whole weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All excellent ideas! I definitely do #4.
    I'm with family in Virginia with more arriving on Thanksgiving day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving, Kim. I'll help out a little with the cooking and after the meal we'll sit around to watch some sports.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, thank you so much. I had Thanksgiving yesterday because my husband and one daughter have to both work on Thursday! I've donated my time since I was 14 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Ladies. Enjoy.

    We do or have done mush of what you listed. This year we have donated two large bags of groceries to church for the Thanksgiving baskets. We bring something every week for the food pantry. This Thanksgiving we will be at home working on cleaning and organizing the family room. We will be on call with the Red Cross for fire response. Unfortunately, there seem to be more fires around the holidays. We respond year round, but it is always a bit more sad when it is during the holidays. A time that should be filled with anticipation and joy instead is a time of loss and sadness. I am also working on getting the Holiday Mail For Heroes organized. We deliver to Guard and Reserve units, the VA hospital facilities and veterans in the nursing homes in 13 counties. Luckily none of our units are currently deployed.

    Our children all had other plans with the in-laws for Thanksgiving Day and it made no sense to try to fit 2 big meals into a single day. So, we are getting together on Sunday. We will also be celebrating our son's birthday. He was born on Thanksgiving Day at the Air force Academy hospital. His birthday falls on Friday this year. The kids all voted for pizza, and want me to bring the apple and pumpkin pies. That will be our holiday meal. The important thing is being together. I will just have to deal with no turkey leftovers for sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats winners. Thanks for that wonderful post. Unfortunately, I'll be working on Thanksgiving. I work in retail and my store is open. I did volunteer to work, so someone with a family wouldn't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving Kim! I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday. I will be spending the day with my family. Lunch at my house, dessert feast at my brother's house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Thanksgiving, Kim! My daughter is home from school and we are going to my in laws home for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For Thanksgiving last month, I spent a nice day with my family, had a big dinner and quiet time catching up. Hope y'all have a great Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving!! We just spent our day together as a family, the best times :)

    ReplyDelete