Monday, February 10, 2014

Aloha to Meredith Bond, AN EXOTIC HEIR, and A DANDY IN DISGUISE



On Sunday night, I skipped Downton Abbey (on PBS) in favor of Hawaii Life (on HGTV).   But I returned to PBS for the Masterpiece Mystery, THE MAKING OF A LADY (link):

Based on the novel by celebrated writer Frances Hodgson Burnett (The Secret Garden), this is the story of the educated but penniless Emily. During her duties as a lady’s companion for Lady Maria she meets her employer’s wealthy widower nephew, Lord James Walderhurst. Accepting his practical if unromantic marriage proposal, Emily finds solace in the company of Walderhurst’s nephew Alec Osborn and his glamorous wife, Hester, after Lord James leaves to rejoin his regiment. Emily, alone with the Osborns, increasingly comes under their control. She begins to fear for her life.


Dorfold Hall, film location for THE MAKING OF A LADY
Image from Historic Houses Association (link)

The subplot involves Colonial India ... reminding me that I have two books in queue to review from Meredith Bond's Merry Men Quartet:

AN EXOTIC HEIR:

Weaving a web of revenge can be satisfying, but dangerous to your heart.

London society is shallow and cruel, sending Cassandra Renwick running to Calcutta, the exotic seat of the British Raj. It’s a fascinating place filled with interesting sights – including the dark and mysterious Julian Ritchie. But she never thought that an even greater heartbreak could be here in this alien and enchanting land.

Julian has always been discriminated against for being only half English. Embittered, he plots an intricate plan for vengeance with the innocent and lovely Cassandra as his pawn. But he soon finds that payback can be painful for the avenger as well when the threads of revenge unwittingly turn into the silken bonds of love.


A DANDY IN DISGUISE:

St. John Fotheringay-Phipps has nearly forgotten who he truly is. As the dashing, amusing dandy known to all in society as Fungy, he has hidden himself behind a mask of merriment. But he is reminded that there are pleasures beyond society — when he finds himself feeling responsible for the innocently lovely and fiercely intellectual Rose, the daughter of a famed archaeologist, and her charming, if socially inept, family.

Rose Grace knows that she cannot gamble with her future. She has suddenly been thrust into the role of mother to her two young sisters, companion to her brilliant, distracted father –and family savior. She needs to do the right thing — to forget her own desires and quickly find a wealthy husband before the creditors come beating at their door. Then why is she distracted by the foppishly handsome Fungy, who seems so very irresponsible and pleasure-loving? Surely he’s the last person whose advice she should follow!


Oh, I might not get back to Downton Abbey with these books to read!   What's in your book reading queue?  One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash.   Comments are open through Saturday, February 15, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, February 16.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore

To learn more about Meredith and her books, including links for excerpts and to buy, check out her website at meredithbond.com.

Meredith (left) read at Lady Jane's Salon/Silver Spring (link).

24 comments:

  1. Right now I've been reading some romantic suspense books from Allison Brennan. She is coming to San Diego for a book signing next month, so I want to read up on some of her books that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got two Kristen Ashley books in my queue, "Mystery Man" and "The Gamble."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now I'm hooked on Grace Burrowes' books and have been going through her backlist. I have a lot to catch up on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes liken downtown Abby,
    Love reading erotic books
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Masterpiece Mystery! Both of these books by Meredith Bond sound intriguing...I'll have to look for them. I just finished Caro Carson's newest (it was great!), and have a Cathy Maxwell, Lindsay McKenna and Cloud Atlas in the queue...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The books do look amazing. I'm reading LAKELAND LILY by Freda Lightfoot. It's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading Grace Draven's Entreat Me. It's a Beauty and the Beast story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Sally MacKenzie's book up next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to start the new Elizabeth Michels book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can say is thank goodness we can dvr....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Theresa Romaine's latest.... also have more new books coming out at the end of the month...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got so many books in my queue I almost have to use an eeny meeny miney mo selection process. I'm a reading addict of historical romance. :-) I just finished Catherine Anderson's Walking on air, but I think I'll read Elizabeth Hoyt's Duke of Midnight next. I haven't yet read anything by Meredith, but that is gonna change right now! So glad I read this post this morning...thanks! jdh2690@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh vey... what's not in my reading que ? LOL with a hint of desperation... my goal this year was to really start buckling down and reading or weaning! One that I have is When You Give a Duke a Diamond by Shana Galen :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary Balogh's 'An Ideal Wife' is on the top of the pile - it's not a new one, but I hadn't read it and I love Mary's latest Survivor's Club series (waiting for the next to come out).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sleigh Bells in the Snow by Sarah Morgan is next to read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have tons of books on my TBR, however, pleasure reading has taken a back seat to the reading and research needed for a course I am taking. There are far more hours involved than advertised!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have boxes of books in my TBR pile, but I'm putting a dent in it. Right now I am reading RULES OF ENGAGEMENT by Tawny Weber (not yet released).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm currently reading "The Heart of a Duke", by Victoria Morgan, which I was able to find at the library. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. take a chance by Abbi Glines

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just finished Once Upon A Tower by Eloisa James---Loved it.. Love her books, the romance, the humor just all of it.
    I also have Gareth next by Grace Burroughs. Thanks for the opportunity.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Next for me is Hunted by Elizabeth Heiter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, goodness! Soooo many good ones! Real by Katy Evans, Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd, book 2 in The Vampire Academy series by Rachel Mead, Sexiest Vampire Alive by Kerrelyn Sparks... Ahhh! The books! I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a great many books in my never-ending TBR pile....Jill Shalvis' Rescue My Heart is at the top of the pile with Pamela Palmer and Susan Mallery close behind. But the queue changes if I happen to get my hands on a book(s) that I just can't wait to read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Next up for me is Getting Rowdy by Lori Foster.

    ReplyDelete